1. What is the meaning/backstory behind the store name, Y & I Clothing? What inspired you to open your boutique?
Our store name comes from our shared name Robyn & Robin! One is spelled with a “y” and the other with an “i.” We decided to open our store over cocktails by the pool on a girl’s weekend trip. Robin was ready for a change from her career on Wall Street in NYC, and Robyn wanted to shift her career from corporate retail buying. We kind of just decided to go for it, and everything else just kind of fell into place.
2. How long have you been in business? Have you always been at your current location in the West Village?
We opened our first location, in San Francisco, in 2006. We can’t believe that it has already been 10 years! Our West Village store opened in 2012, and we couldn’t think of a better place to be in Dallas.
3. How would you describe your store? What, if anything, do you specialize in? If you have more than one location, how do the two stores most differ?
Our store is fun, flirty and trendy. We focus on the different wardrobing needs that our customer has, from beach vacations to a night on the town. Our core assortment features great casual style and the accessories to complement it. We have really expanded our gift collection, so that you can always pop in and find the perfect item. Our stores differ due to the weather, when it’s hot in Texas it is usually still cool outside in San Francisco. So we make sure to switch to shorts and breezy dresses as the weather heats up in Dallas, but carry sweaters year round in the Bay.
4. What are some of your favorite brands and items you carry?
We love our collection, and picking a favorite brand is hard but we’ll try! For Robin, she loves Yumi Kim, DL1961, Ella Moss and Sanctuary. Robyn loves Knot Sisters, Wildfox, MinkPink and Gentlefawn. And of course, we both agree that our absolute favorite is our super affordable y&i branded line.
5. So you attended January market, who and what did you buy? What was your favorite piece?
We love January Market, because you really get to see the new summer collections and identify up and coming trends. We bought a lot, but some of the highlights were BB Dakota, Chaser, MinkPink, Splendid and Wildfox.
6. Were you buying any one-item type in particular?
No, we never go in with a plan to buy a specific item. We like to see what trends jump out and make us excited for the season.
7. Did you purchase any unexpected must-haves / did anything jump out at you that you didn’t know you needed?
I don’t think that there was any specific surprise style to us. We did fall in love with a romantic maxi wrap dress look, that we feel is going to be a key style for us.
8. What are you planning to purchase for fall season? Will you be focusing on anything specific?
For fall deliveries, it’s still hot in Dallas, so we like to deliver fall pretty slowly. We’ll start to carry some great denim options and carry forward trends from summer, like off-shoulder and cold shoulder styles, but in more transitional colors.
9. What item/ trend has been a top seller so far this year?
Our customer loves the wrap dress, and so are we! It’s ultra-flattering and comes in so many great prints and color options
10. Is there a specific celebrity style or style icon that inspires you?
No, we always have favorites, but there isn’t a particular style icon that we focus on.
11. What is your favorite part about owning and running a store?
We love creating an assortment that we really think our customers will love. The best is when you take a chance on a new designer and their collection is a huge hit.
12. Do you have anything big / different planned for fall or in 2017 in general?
We are looking forward to expanding our gift assortment with new categories and new designers.
Y & I Clothing is located at 3699 Mckinney Avenue, #411 Dallas, TX 75204. You can also visit their Website, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter!
Facebook- Y&I Clothing
Instagram- Y&I Clothing
Pinterest- Y&I Clothing
Twitter- Y&I Clothing