TGIF! We hope you have had a fabulous and fashionable week. We can’t wait for our Fall 1 market next week, and buyers can prepare for a great show. We are also ready to host our Featured Guest Designers, Cammy Hebert and Cologne Schmidt of Show Me Your Mumu! You’ve seen the prints, and drooled over the look books, but how well do you know these incredible designers? In honor of our 10th anniversary, we asked 10 questions to get the scoop on these lovely ladies.
1. What is the backstory behind your brand name? We were inspired by traditional Hawaiian Mu’u Mu’us- comfy, flowing, and bright. We wanted our Mu’u Mu’us to be all of those things PLUS fashion forward and flattering. So we shortened the length and shortened the name! And our original “mumu” was born! The full name- Show Me Your Mumu- came from our dear friend, Winston, during a stroke of genius at a Miami lobster dinner.
2. How would you describe the aesthetic behind Show Me Your Mumu? Who is your target audience? Mumu is all about what we call “48 hour” clothes. We want girls to wear our clothes anywhere and everywhere with ease- to sleep, to swim, to dine, to play, to work, to travel, etc. We design for girls on-the-go who like to be comfortable and stylish at the same time. We have bohemian roots and a California vibe, but always make sure to have a little bit of something for everyone.
3. What is your favorite aspect of designing? Prints. We LOVE prints. We love designing prints. We love researching prints. We love the whole print process. Our line is filled with all sorts of prints (animal, floral, nautical, hippie, etc) and we spend a lot of time making sure we get them just right to keep the line fresh, exciting, and unique.
4. Who are some of your style icons or design inspirations? Lately, we have been super inspired by Veruschka, young Tippi Degre, Princess Jasmine, & Lord Glenconner. Our celebrity style crushes are Kate Hudson, Cressida Bonas, Candice Accola, & Isabel Lucas.
5. If you could dress any celebrity for a year who would it be and why? Celebrities don’t need any more clothes! We would love to give well deserving non-famous people Mumu makeovers straight out of an airstream trailer. One day…
6. How would you describe your focus for your spring 2014 collection? Spring 14 is very festival-inspired with lots of floral, fringe, and flow to make sure our girls are decked out for festival season.
7. What was the inspiration for your fall 2014 collection? Fall 14 is inspired by a bohemian, Americana lifestyle- travel, flea markets, Topanga Canyon, road trips, exploring and FUN.
8. Out of all of your collections, do you have a favorite print or style?
Cammy: I am a cheetah lover. Animal print lover in general. Python, cheetah, tiger, etc. My favorite is our Spring 14 Rainbow Python.
Coco: I love vintage-inspired floral like our Fall 14 Frankie’s Garden and Flora Farm.
9. What is something the public needs to know about you that they don’t already? We are best friends before coworkers and that has made all the difference. So when we look like we are having fun in our photo shoot pictures- we actually are!
10. Tell us what you think of FIG, and what you hope to experience as a Featured Guest Designer. We LOVE FIG. Dallas is our favorite of all of the markets because of the entire FIG experience. We love the buyers, the vibe, the building, the location, the cocktails, seriously…EVERYTHING about the FIG. As the guest designers during market week, we hope to share the MUMU love with more people and make some more Texas friends!
Check out more from Cammy and Cologne on Show Me Your Mumu’s website and social “MU-dia” platforms. Buyers, meet Cammy and Cologne at FIG Fashions in the Park, Thursday, March 27th from 6pm – 8pm. Show Me Your Mumu can be found in Level Showroom, Gallery 108.